TCP/IP between OB-430 & HP-200LX
01-10-2017, 08:18 PM
RE: TCP/IP between OB-430 & HP-200LX
That's pretty cool. Now you've got me brainstorming...

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to take an Arduino + Wi-Fi shield (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoWiFiShield) and write a little kernel to have it talk to a device over serial via some custom AT commands (for tradition's sake), and connect to a wireless LAN on the other end, routing data between two endpoints. So, a serial device that implements netcat or telnet, basically. Smile

Do "ATDT172.16.1.37:5000" on one device, "ATA" on the other, and have a direct two-way connection between the two with the wireless LAN bridging their serial ports. Then you don't even have to worry about getting the older devices to speak TCP.

Implement a custom AT command set for setting the SSID and encryption, choosing TCP or UDP transports, opening sockets (unicast, multicast, or broadcast), maybe adjusting the buffer size and transmit delay, etc. Would be almost no wiring involved, apart from getting the RS-232 connected to the Arduino's TTL serial, it would mostly be a software exercise.

I may actually have a valid use case for something like this, now that I think of it...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TCP/IP between OB-430 & HP-200LX - Dave Britten - 01-10-2017 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)