why is there no spherical solution to the direct geodesy problem? There is!
12-05-2016, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 08:36 PM by SlideRule.)
RE: why is there no spherical solution to the direct geodesy problem?
(12-05-2016 08:29 AM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  The reason I am so interested ... I was looking for a way of generating some test data for comparison.
Your inquiry is interesting ... however, for the moment I offer a partial solution to your multifaceted posting: generating TEST data - the ONLINE GEODETIC CALCULATOR may facilitate your need.
I have numerous texts and algorithms for avigation, navigation, geodetic computation, Great Circle calculations, etc and may have something close to your desired end product. It may take a little while to research.

after a little research utilizing ... [attachment=4254] as well as ... [attachment=4255] ... for a better understanding ...

that eventually leads to a program at ...
Conversions between Geographical & Transverse Mercator (UTM, GAUSS.KRUGER) Grid Coordinates ... for the HP-67 Calculator.

BEST!
SlideRule

ps: my best reference

[attachment=4259]

from "Solving the Direct & Inverse Geodetic Problems on the Ellipsoid by Numerical Integration"
We have demonstrated how to solve the direct and inverse problems on the ellipsoid by adding the strict solution for the sphere and an ellipsoidal correction determined by numerical integration ... The tests show that both the direct and inverse problem solutions practically agree with Vincenty’s solutions. Although Vincenty’s iterative method apparently is more practical, our method, to our knowledge, is the only independent method for validating Vincenty’s inverse method. (pg 16).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: why is there no spherical solution to the direct geodesy problem? - SlideRule - 12-05-2016 04:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)