Potential infringement of copyright
12-04-2016, 07:40 PM
RE: Potential infringement of copyright
(12-03-2016 11:07 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  
(12-03-2016 01:52 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Walter, the original author, himself is violating the license by not making the derived work publicly available.

This is totally incorrect. Licencing something under the GPL does not relinquish the author's copyright, it sets out terms whereby others can use the work. The author is still free to do whatever else they want with their copyright.

An author never needs to licence their own work, I'm not even sure that doing so would make legal sense or even be possible.

Pauli

You are right in principle. But as cited above, in the manual version 3.0 YOU and Walter where given as the authors of the manual. It might be well possible that you don't care as you have already stated that your contribution was negligible. From external view it looks as if Walter has hijacked the manual and continues editing without observing the stated license, which would demand your name to be put forward. Having you included as an author also in version 3.0 made it a work no longer in Walter's hands alone.

But I guess this discussion is mute as only you could really claim a violation of the license under GPL. I'm sure you would not, why should you!

Günter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Potential infringement of copyright - Guenter Schink - 12-04-2016 07:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)