HP-32E Advanced Scientific Calculator - my first Spice machine
11-11-2016, 09:42 PM
HP-32E Advanced Scientific Calculator - my first Spice machine
Yesterday I got this machine from a local seller.

Like many of these kind of machines, this one also has corroded battery terminals caused by the Ni-Cd batteries forgotten inside the machine for years.

Although when I applied an external 3-Volt power supply i got a satisfying normal initialization showing "0.0000" in the LED display.
Tried the self test and nothing happened. The Enter key is not working at all.

Still I decided to buy it and see if I can repair it.

These pictures are from the seller advert.
As Bob mentioned elsewhere in another post, this model would not be sold in a hard case like this one.

[Image: HP-32E_001.jpg]

The guilty component.

[Image: HP-32E_001a.jpg]

After opening the machine I found the missing battery connector lose inside.

One good thing: The machine was never opened before, although someone may have tried to undo the two screws a little but quit after realizing that it was "impossible" to open it without breaking it.

That eventual frustrated tentative have left marks on the plastic threaded posts where the two screws go. One post is cracked in three places but can easily be repaired.

And the usual look after a battery leak.
I was lucky because after cleaning all the battery leakage components I found out that the power supply flat cable didn't suffer enough corrosion to break.

[Image: HP-32E_002.jpg] [Image: HP-32E_003.jpg]

The third IC is not installed. A few reports I have been reading mention that some 32E machines came with the middle position filled in.
This is what this machine have installed:
1MA4-0003 DIP40 processor
1MA3-0004 DIP8 memory
1MA1-0009 DIP8 memory

[Image: HP-32E_004.jpg] [Image: HP-32E_005.jpg]

General parts after cleaning.

[Image: HP-32E_006.jpg]

Power supply.
Great information with schematics here from Kees.

[Image: HP-32E_007.jpg] [Image: HP-32E_008.jpg]

Thanks to Geoff Quickfall, Kees, Karl Schneider and many others that have been posting here and elsewhere sharing their experiences and knowledge.

(Continued)

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP-32E Advanced Scientific Calculator - my first Spice machine - jebem - 11-11-2016 09:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)