Different note app / way to store often used formulas / how to start programming
02-24-2014, 01:49 PM
RE: Different note app / way to store often used formulas / how to start programming
(02-23-2014 06:30 PM)Angus Wrote:  Concerning using pc Software or smartphones instead of a real calculator I need to disagree with you. A calculator still has its place on an engineers bench. Any touchscreen is a haptic disaster and a potent calculator is more than enough in many cases.

I did not mean that a smartphone or computer is better suited for the purpose. I prefer a real calculator keyboard as well. (which is why I think the Casio Classpad 2 is a stupid device: It combines a touchscreen interface with the limited processing power of a calculator. Hardware keys are only provided for the bare minimum of functions. Worst of both worlds).

But my point is: Virtually everyone has a smartphone already and 24/7 available in his/her pocket. And a computer. Wolfram Alpha is free to use, and there are other CAS which are free to use. Hell, you even get a free Mathematica license if you buy a Rasperry Pi for 30$!
Hence many people don't see a reason in investing money in a device which is more expensive, less capable and less flexible, and where the innovation cycle is in the range of 10-20 years, only because it has a specialized user interface. This shrinks the market down to a size where its difficult to make any money.

10-20 years ago one would buy a calculator to learn programming. Today you go to codecademy.com
10-20 years ago one would buy a calculator to get access to a cheap CAS/solver. Today you go to wolframalpha.com
10-20 years ago one would buy a calculator to make a quick plot. Today you download gnuplot, or any other plotting tool (or go to wolframalpha.com)
10-20 years ago one would buy a calculator to use in an exam. Today... oh wait, that's still the same ;-)

(Btw: You posted in another thread about RealCalc. Thats also my favourite calculator app. It's actually the first RPN calculator I used)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Different note app / way to store often used formulas / how to start programming - Stefan - 02-24-2014 01:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)