4K HP 67 Games rom attached for testing
11-02-2016, 08:28 AM
RE: 4K HP 67 Games rom attached for testing
(11-02-2016 06:50 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Guys, there are two different approaches and both use the Time Module one way or another:

If the Time Module is required for this implementation of an RNG, this – IMVHO – is not an option. I think the planned ROM should be useable in any standard 41C/CV.

(11-02-2016 06:50 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  1. The SandMath implementation uses two functions, SEEDT and RNDM, and a buffer to store the seed. The seed can be entered manually or by the Time Module if the user inputs zero. This requires a buffer to store the seed.

OK. But is does this buffer require the Time Module? Or is it possible to store the last random number (i.e. the seed for the next one) somewhere in a standard 41? I assume the new ROM itself cannot be used for this since it's, well, a ROM (read-only).

So there is a simple question: Since a usual RNG calculates the next random number from the previous one the latter has to be stored somewhere. Is there a way to store a number in a "safe place" within a standard 41? Or: is the buffer that's now used in Sandmath for this also possible with the upcoming Games ROM without any additional hardware?

In other words: is it possible to store a number "somewhere" in a standard '41 with only the Games ROM plugged in? If not, we could reserve a regular data register for this, e.g. R00, and adjust the programs accordingly.

(11-02-2016 06:50 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  I think we should use the latter approach for simplicity and as far as I can tell equivalent results.

I'd prefer the former version since it allows to set a seed so that results can be reproduced for test purposes.

Dieter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP-67 AOS program to debug - Gene - 10-30-2016, 02:11 AM
RE: 4K HP 67 Games rom attached for testing - Dieter - 11-02-2016 08:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)