USB to Serial Port cable for 41CL
08-28-2016, 05:31 AM
USB to Serial Port cable for 41CL
Hi everyone,

I'm about ready to connect my 41CL to a PC, but wasn't certain about using a Sabrent USB to DB9 serial port adapter cable for the task. A Google search of MoHPC didn't turn up any mention of using a USB adapter cable. I usually like to ask "Do you think [setting myself on fire/drinking Clorox/jumping off a bridge] is a dumb idea?" before embarking on something like this I haven't tried before.

On my 41CL I have the serial port accessory for the 41CL and the DB9 to audio plug cable provided for the port cover receptacle. I picked up a Sabrent adapter cable at Frys long ago to communicate with an HP48 via its DB9 serial port adapter cable; works just fine. A quick check of the DB9 pins shows about 6.5V on some of them (scary!). The 41CL manual mentions an RS232 transceiver, and the schematics show a part with such a label but alas no part number to look up the data sheet. Having used USB to 3.3/5V serial port adapters for Arduino type targets, I want to be sure I'm not applying an inappropriate voltage to the 41CL board.

I'm posting the question here in part so that others can get a quick answer in the future. But of course I'm also asking the more pertinent question, do you think [setting myself on fire/drinking Clorox/plugging my 41CL into a (Sabrent/other) USB to DB9 adapter] is a good idea?

Should work, yeah?
~ Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
USB to Serial Port cable for 41CL - mfleming - 08-28-2016 05:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)