Looking for (idler?) gear wheel of HP-46 printer unit
04-03-2017, 10:07 AM
RE: Looking for (idler?) gear wheel of HP-46 printer unit
Anyone have an issue with the gear from this source:

http://www.steingraeber-modelle.de/Zahnr...05868_4207

Never assembled mine, as the gear has all the characteristics mentioned in previous posts/threads, however it is 2.5mm thick and not 3.0mm.

Likely the 0.5mm makes no difference other than a 0.5mm gap on the shaft the gear rides on. As rotation is always the same direction one would expect the gear to migrate to the left or right end of the shaft and stay there. i.e. there should be no flopping back and forth and a "spacer" should be unnecessary. The brass fitting is very close to the diameter of the shaft, so the thinner gear should not increase axial displacement forces; or insignificantly of it does. When the printer is shut off, hence slows down, I suspect the gear does not migrate towards the opposite end of the shaft. Not sure why it would make any difference if it does, as upon power-on it would move to the other end. Assuming it moves at all.

I contacted Steingraeber-modelle. They checked, the gear is 2.5mm and their supplier cannot provide a 3.0mm thick gear. The dimensions on their web page have been updated. Found a 3.0mm from KKPMO but it costs about $11.00USD.

Wondered if anyone recreated this gear for any calculator using the EP-102 (HP-46/81/9805, etc.) or EP-104 (newer calcs) and noticed undo wear issues or other problems. Personally, think I'm a fuss-budget and shouldn't worry about it. Any "gear experience" folks out there?

thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for (idler?) gear wheel of HP-46 printer unit - Duane Hess - 04-03-2017 10:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)