HP 42S odd behavior and a temp fix.
05-27-2016, 02:03 AM
HP 42S odd behavior and a temp fix.
I pulled a 42S out of a box of calcs I have (collect waaaaay too many), and decided to use it again. I put fresh batteries in it, but nothing. Rechecked all three battery voltages and all's good. Did the "touch battery contacts together" thing to discharge any residuals. Put batteries back in. Nothing. Tried the E+ and XEQ with the ON button and finally got a "MEMORY CLEARED", but buttons did not respond. Took batteries back out and did everything again. This time nothing. Slightly flexed the machine (I'll try anything once) and E+ and XEQ and ON, then got "MEMORY CLEARED". But, keys not responding yet. Tried every button, and the SIN and square root buttons worked. ?? The number 8 worked and 7, but 7 had to press a little harder. To make a short story long, I found that if I apply a little pressure to the calc just above the top row of keys, but below the display...between the square root and LOG buttons, all the buttons work without excess pressure..! So, what's going on here? I assume something is loose or something. Thanks in advance for your help and for listening/reading.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP 42S odd behavior and a temp fix. - d4days - 05-27-2016 02:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)