WP 34S printing scrambled text on HP82240B
05-23-2016, 08:34 PM
RE: WP 34S printing scrambled text on HP82240B
(05-20-2016 11:32 PM)BobVA Wrote:  
(05-20-2016 01:45 PM)Kaiserpat Wrote:  I opened it up and it seems that many components have been changed (including the IR receiver). I have no idea for what purpose that printer was used and will probably never find out...

Interesting! If you get a chance to post some photos of what you found, I'm sure we'd all enjoy a look at it. I wonder if HP OEM'ed that (like the BlankNut or the HP-1000CX), provided just the mechanical parts ,or if the other company modified retail printers?
No extra labels, special markings, etc. on the outside? I hope they didn't make too many of them, as that could be a real trap on the surplus market.

At least you have a nice collection of mechanics for spare parts.

I received a number of other printers from the same supplier for testing and they all do exactly the same (garbled gibberish). Not just with my 34S, but also with the 39g+ I just bought for testing. After opening another printer, I noticed that it has the same set-up as the one I opened before. So I wonder if that company from whom my supplier bought them may have repurposed them, rather than badly repaired them?

I have taken some pictures and attached them. I noticed that the original IR sensor is no longer there, and some dodgy connections via the blue/grey/purple wires have been made to a capacitor and another component.

If I knew what the original components were and had a schematic for the printer, I'm sure I'd be able to put it back in its former, working order. I've searched online, but so far nothing....

Maybe Katie Wasserman has some pictures of an 82240B printer with its original set-up?

(05-22-2016 09:36 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  Much of the data is sent out as graphics. Can you print a single character from the alpha register with pMODE set to 0, such as an "A"? This will be sent literally in print mode 0.

Maybe a sequence of uppercase U will help diagnose the problem. This is a pattern of alternating ones and zeros.

I tried that and nothing happens. Not even a line feed. But maybe given the "state" of the printer's insides, that's no longer surprising.

MENE SAKKHET UR-SEVEH
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP 34S printing scrambled text on HP82240B - Kaiserpat - 05-23-2016 08:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)