WP 34S printing scrambled text on HP82240B
05-20-2016, 01:45 PM
RE: WP 34S printing scrambled text on HP82240B
(05-18-2016 11:18 PM)BobVA Wrote:  Can you tell if your crystal is operating correctly?

If so, have you tried putting the printer closer to the calculator?

The crystal is installed and works fine, I've tried all distances.

(05-19-2016 01:56 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Also, if the printer is running on batteries you may need to increase the line feed delay:
h MODE ^ ^ (until •DLAY shows up) ENTER d,
Where • is the printer symbol character and d is the delay in tenths of seconds.

I'm actually running it off a 12V DC 1A power supply.

(05-19-2016 02:17 AM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  Also, Did you try a printer self-test? Turn on the printer while holding down the paper advance button. It should print out its full character set (several lines of text) followed by the battery level (a number from 1 to 5).

Katie, first of all, you were among the greatest help to me when researching how to turn my 20b into 34S, so thank you very much for that. I did do a self-test, and it comes out perfect...

(05-19-2016 11:34 AM)emece67 Wrote:  
(05-18-2016 03:59 PM)Kaiserpat Wrote:  [...]
and the IR diode, which, according to the calculator's self-test seems to be installed correctly.
[...]

Are you aware that the IR printer needs, not only the IR LED, but also the 32768 Hz quartz crystal?

I wasn't aware that printing required the crystal, but it is installed nonetheless and works fine.

Thanks for all your input guys and gals, but I think that the problem lies with the printer. I opened it up and it seems that many components have been changed (including the IR receiver). I have no idea for what purpose that printer was used and will probably never find out as the person who sold it to me bought a whole lot from some small IT company that went bust. Also, and more conclusively, I managed to cheaply acquire a 39G+ graphic calculator, and the result is the same (i.e. scrambled text until the printer buffer fills up). The guy's sending me another printer, we'll see if that one works, I'll let you know if it does.

MENE SAKKHET UR-SEVEH
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP 34S printing scrambled text on HP82240B - Kaiserpat - 05-20-2016 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)