[WP 34S] Enhanced Y register display: fractions, bugfixes etc.
02-18-2014, 02:40 AM
RE: [WP 34S] Enhanced Y register display: fractions, bugfixes etc.
(02-12-2014 09:21 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  Bit,

instead of optimizing the code you could have simply increased the processor speed when updating the display. IIRC the processor is run at a relatively moderate speed in data entry mode to conserve battery power.

Hi Marcus,

That's basically a trade-off between firmware size and battery life.

The increase in firmware size can be easily calculated: currently about 168 bytes with all of the optimizations enabled. I cannot guess how much the battery life would decrease if we increased the speed and kept the smaller but less efficient code. Can you comment on that?

In the meantime I've been working on two things:
1. I've increased the responsiveness a tiny bit more by eliminating some more unnecessary screen updates, specifically when invoking functions. This doesn't produce such a dramatic improvement as we've seen previously but it's worth the effort because once my other optimizations are in place, it barely increases the size of the firmware further.
2. I've folded the niladic(), monadic() etc. functions in xeq.c together, moving their functionality into a universal dispatch function. This reduces firmware size by over 256 bytes, which is not a lot but it helps offset a part of the increase in size that my other changes cause.

I'll post an updated binary as soon as I can, but like most people I have a day job as well as other obligations, so it might take a little while.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [WP 34S] Enhanced Y register display: fractions, bugfixes etc. - Bit - 02-18-2014 02:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)