Updated 41Z : Deluxe Edition available
03-13-2017, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 06:47 PM by Ángel Martin.)
RE: Updated 41Z : Deluxe Edition available
(03-13-2017 05:25 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  Hello Angel,

some days ago I found your 41Z Delux Edition and now I see in this forum, it exists alredy for quite some time. So I am a little late with my comments. Wink

Your Complex Number Module "HP-41Z Deluxe+" together with its 116p manual is a grand work. I took a closer look and would like to suggest few minor emendations. (Do not take it as criticism pls.)

Hi Mike, thanks for your detailed feedback, I'm glad there is at least one user of this module out there ;-) Let's address the items individually.-

(03-13-2017 05:25 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  i) First line of the manual is "(c) Ángel M. Martin – March 2017", in contrast the module file shows "(c) 2013 Angel Martin". It took you indeed several years to finish the manual? Wink

You know what's like, the documentation is the most difficult part...

(03-13-2017 05:25 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  ii) All checksums are bad. A pity for such a gem.

iii) The warning on p. 8 about 'slightly different function arrangement in the FATs' in respect to previous versions of your 41Z modules should be placed at a more striking location, on the cover page or on page 2 after 'This compilation, revision A.6.7.' In addition the wording could be unmistakably clear. "*** RED NEON ***: Do not program using functions of this module as with future updates of it the chance is quite high your routines will not work any more or - even worse - present wrong results without any error message." As a. m., no criticism, only a suggestion.

"C'mon, don't be so harsh - it's not that dangerous... I think the warning on pg#8 is appropriate - after all this is for "engaged" users, right? If you don't think so, do you remember what happened last time you changed your Windows version?

(03-13-2017 05:25 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  iv) Manual p. 8 bottom, 'Note for Advanced Users', IMHO the terms 'Upper Page' and 'Lower Page' are confused. The even page of a port is the lower one (8, A, C, E), the odd page the upper one (9, B, D, F). So if XROM #01 of 41Z-Deluxe+ is on page A then its XROM #4 must be on page B.

The information is incorrect as written in the manual. The lower page has XROM 01, and the upper is XROM 04 - thanks for pointing out this typo.

(03-13-2017 05:25 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  v) Same spot as iv) The only reason the ROMs should not be set to "straddled" ports is just the bank switching? A look at the FAT pointers shows that two functions of XROM #01 point to the upper page and many from XROM #04 to the lower page. So wrong placement of the ROMs will most probably cause some deterministic trouble. (Do you really jump from one bank-switched page to the other?)

Actually the 41 OS will happily cope with straddle dual-modules with port-crossing FATs, not a problem from that side.

(03-13-2017 05:25 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  vi) Manual p. 7, last sentence of 2nd paragraph: "All interaction occurs behind the scenes and transparently to the user." Sounds obscure to me, pls explain how I may observe what's going on backstage.

Sure, which part specifically you'd like to know more? Sub-functions? LastFunction? Bank-switching? Non-merged STO/RCL? RCL Math?

(03-13-2017 05:25 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  vii) Manual p. 113 and p. 115 f.: tables missing column header.

It's the same table that starts on page 112.

(03-13-2017 05:25 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  viii) Both secondary banks have a one item FAT, programmable, but just a RTN. I can not see a purpose for it, so could you please be so kind and explain your reasons for this two functions. (Yes, I am nosy, I know.)

They have the same function as the section headers in the main FATs, i.e. they are... well, section headers. ;-) Seriously, you can skip a complete section if you stop the catalog, then hit ENTER^, then SST, then ENTER^ again... very much the same as the CCD Module.

What they are programmable?... because everything on the auxiliary FAT is.

(03-13-2017 05:25 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  ix) The interrupt vectors of both secondary banks are void. For Cold Start and Deep Sleep Wakeup I would do a bank switch (and then branch to normal CS or WKUP routine), just to ensure unambiguous bank state even when running on poor emulators concerning this matter. But - you know it - as a. m., just a suggestion.

Good idea, will see if there's a convenient location to add that code...

(03-13-2017 05:25 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  Leafing through the 116 pages of the manual shows a very impressive piece of work. I have no practical use of complex math so please take my few pettiness-remarks as high estimation of your '41Z Deluxe+' as application pack altogether.

Thanks again... make sure you don't miss the new additions like the DFT, Derivatives and Continuous Fractions.

Cheers,
ÁM

"To live or die by your own sword one must first learn to wield it aptly."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)