Perfect Programming PDA/Palmtop/Calc
04-03-2016, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2016 09:02 PM by Bill (Smithville NJ).)
RE: Perfect Programming PDA/Palmtop/Calc
(04-03-2016 05:32 PM)BASICProgrammer Wrote:  Well my final contestants are the hp 95lx, the tungsten c, and the pocket computer, chip. The hp 95 I already assume can run memo files as .bat files. It has a monochrome screen that has some larger text so it won't strain my eyes anymore. I can add ides form palm os and can communicate over wifi and send emails on tungsten c. The chip is great and all but has a long release date. I might check for those vhs sized lenovos but I'm getting really close to my desicion. Thanks, all.

Since you are looking at the Tungsten C (which I have used), you may want to consider the Sony series of Palm type units - I have used quite a few of them - I especially liked the Sonly Clie Peg NZ-90. Sony made a whole series of Clie PDA's.

Another system which no one has suggested is the Win CE PDA's. HP made a couple of nice ones - the HP-620LX is very nice. The NEC MobilePro series of PDA's are also great. Nice keyboard, color screens and many apps built-in. I've used most of these PDA's over the years. I used a NEC Mobilepro 900 for several years at work. With the large keyboard and Excel built-in, it was great for doing load calc take-offs from drawings. I could enter the data in a spreadsheet, then transfer it to a PC for processing. There were several programming languages that would run on the Win CE units.

One last comment/warning. You may want to stick with a unit that uses replaceable batteries. Almost all the rechargeable batteries will be dead in these older units. And it may be difficult to replace the internal rechargeable battery in a sealed unit. Some of the PDA's had battery holders that could let them use standard AA batteries in lieu of the rechargeable battery. I know the NEC series had these AA battery holders. But finding this battery holder may be difficult.

Oh, Almost forgot. There is the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 PDA that runs Linux. I always wanted to get one of these to play around with.

So many choices!

Bill
Smithville, NJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Perfect Programming PDA/Palmtop/Calc - Bill (Smithville NJ) - 04-03-2016 08:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)