RPN Scientific Firmware for the Spikenzielabs Calculator Kit
03-01-2016, 12:53 PM
RE: RPN Scientific Firmware for the Spikenzielabs Calculator Kit
Hi Maximillian,

Sounds like an excellent project! Please keep us posted.

Regarding the displays, those look like they would work just fine. I am using modules with the TM1638 driver (eg. ebay: 351374870047), because they have LED's and pushbuttons which I am utilizing for indicators and additional keys, however the module you chose also has Arduino drivers so it should be a great choice.

Regarding the Atmel chip on the SpikenzieLabs calculator enclosure, there is zero room for a socket so the processor is soldered directly to the board (see picture attached). I guess I've been lucky and I haven't yet fried one of these chips, plus they are good for so many programming cycles that I didn't think about socketing it. Probably a good idea though!

Regarding the programmer, I am using one based on the CP2102 USB chip with a 6-pin wire connector (see picture 2 attached). I don't remember where I bought mine, but I just searched ebay and there seem to be a large variety. The one pictured here works perfectly -- including resetting the processor when accessing the serial port, etc.

Good luck with the project and have fun!

Steve.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: RPN Scientific Firmware for the Spikenzielabs Calculator Kit - securd - 03-01-2016 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)