RPN Scientific Firmware for the Spikenzielabs Calculator Kit
10-08-2019, 04:52 PM
RE: RPN Scientific Firmware for the Spikenzielabs Calculator Kit
With regards to the battery life, the original firmware turned off the calculator automatically to preserve battery life (I think within less than a minute after the last key press). As you noted, the backlit display draws a lot of power. The soft-latching power switch is quite effective in the off state, and draws almost no power when off. I measured it once, but don't remember the exact number off the top of my head.

I personally have the calculator plugged in to and powered from the USB-to-serial converter all the time, so it hasn't been an issue for me to have it on all the time. (The form-factor with the tilted screen really is ideal for desktop use, and makes the screen a lot easier to see than most "pocket" calculators with a flat screen.) I haven't really looked into trying to put the microcontroller into low power modes, since the backlight is probably one of the biggest power draws. I do turn off the backlight while doing calculations, but that's more of an indicator that a button was pressed and calculation is in progress. An auto power off would be a nice optional feature to have, although I personally like having it stay on all the time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: RPN Scientific Firmware for the Spikenzielabs Calculator Kit - jklsadf - 10-08-2019 04:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)