Why on earth did HP swap around the primary function keys?
02-09-2016, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2016 11:59 AM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
RE: Why on earth did HP swap around the primary function keys?
(02-09-2016 11:16 AM)damaltor Wrote:  On my desk i have two calculators for everyday use (I am an embedded software developer). The first is a HP-16C, the best ever calculator for this purpose, though it lacks most math functions which i ocassionally need. The second is a HP-41C which holds most of my often needed programs, and which i use for any maths the 16C doesnt cope with. One day or another i will add a 15C to this, because it is similar to the 16C (and similar to use). That one will lack the alpha functions though, which are nice on the 41C.

Still, i notice i tend to open the drawer and get out a 48G to make more advanced math, because i struggle to use the 41C because the add/sub/div/mul keys are on the "wrong" side and in the "wrong" order. I simply am used to right side, / * - + and ocassionally mistype on the 41C which has left side, - + * / (which means mirrored left/right, mirrored top/bottom, and plus and minus switched).

I guess i could live with either way when using it daily, but switching between those two layouts is kinda hard - so does anyone know why the setup was changed in the first place? I guess the "new" layout is kind of standard, on other calculators too, but if HP started with the "old" layout, was there a definitive reason to switch and to make advancing to a more modern device harder? Does anyone else have this first world problem?

Old thread hereabout... (just one of its iterations)
You can infer my position on this theme by my tagline. ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why on earth did HP swap around the primary function keys? - Massimo Gnerucci - 02-09-2016 11:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)