Internet streaming media box
12-19-2013, 02:13 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2013 02:14 AM by sylvandb.)
RE: Internet streaming media box
(12-19-2013 12:04 AM)brouhaha Wrote:  Hah! Roku just announced official YouTube support today.

Yesterday, actually, as ack'd by my post above made this morning. Smile

On similar hints I researched several of the unofficial ways of getting youtube, as well as doing local streaming. That flexibility, the ready availability of the dev kit, the open source channels, all contributed to my decision along with the generally positive feedback here and elsewhere.

Frankly, I've tried and binned several streamers over the past nearly two decades that were supposedly optimized for local media as well as Internet. I'm under no illusion that the Roku will be perfect... But it is a well established product and I'm hoping and expecting my family will like it for what it does well.

(I have a few terabytes of media currently online. Several hundred CDs are in FLAC and mp3 and should be good or cheaply transcoded. Video is more troublesome with 200-300 DVDs stored mostly as unencrypted VOB files (in DVD-ready directory structure). The Roku's limited variety of acceptable file formats is the biggest annoyance I am currently expecting, but I may be able to rig up the pieces to transcode on the fly behind my http server feeding the Roksbox channel.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Internet streaming media box - sylvandb - 12-12-2013, 06:28 PM
RE: Internet streaming media box - Jeff O. - 12-13-2013, 06:17 PM
RE: Internet streaming media box - Jeff O. - 12-18-2013, 06:06 PM
RE: Internet streaming media box - sylvandb - 12-19-2013 02:13 AM
RE: Internet streaming media box - RNav - 12-20-2013, 01:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)