(50G) [HPGCC3] DRAW3DMATRIX replacement with grayscale surfaces, proof of concept
09-11-2015, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2017 01:28 PM by Gene.)
(50G) [HPGCC3] DRAW3DMATRIX replacement with grayscale surfaces, proof of concept
It's time to release something I've been working on for ... longer than I'd want to admit.
It is a 3D renderer written using HPGCC3 with grayscale graphics and proper polygon sorting, originally intended to be used for a 50G version of a Casio AFX series game I enjoyed (a flight simulator with wireframe graphics called F-16 Falcon 2.0). At some point, my renderer was wireframe too, but when I started to use grayscale graphics, I noticed that without proper depth sorting some pixels could have the wrong color. To be precise, it happened when the 2D projections of two lines intersected; the point of intersection would get the color of the line that was defined earlier than the other one, which wasn't always the line that was closer to the viewer.
When reading up on ways to sort the lines, I decided to allow polygons as well. Modern graphics cards like to cut everything into triangles, but with CPU rendering I expected the renderer to be more efficient if I allow more corners per polygon - the renderer simply assumes all corners beyond the third one are in the plane defined by the first three. (If that's not the case, graphical glitches may happen.) This didn't solve the sorting problem yet, but the BSP (binary space partitioning) implementation I subsequently wrote did. I went with BSP because the only alternative I seriously considered was the Z-buffer, which has its own shortcomings, for example problems with transparent surfaces and a large memory footprint. (With 131x80 64-bit depth values, we have a Z-buffer weighing about 82KiB. That's a lot for our poor 50G.)
At some point my "render a single frame" and "render an endlessly rotating cube" test programs didn't cut it anymore, so I wrote something that allowed for multiple tests without constantly recompiling: a program that interprets a matrix as a heightmap and renders it, just like the built-in command DRAW3DMATRIX. What I'm releasing here is essentially this test program, but when the 50G has a command that does pretty much the same thing, it might actually be useful. Wink
The performance was worse than I expected, so I tweaked some things: I replaced almost all floating point calculations with fixed point procedures. That helped a little bit, but not as much as increasing the clock speed from HPGCC3's default 12MHz to the OS's default 75MHz. Still, when feeding the output of {6. 6.} RANM 10. / \->NUM into the program, it takes between 300 and 400 milliseconds per frame. DRAW3DMATRIX performs better, and it can handle larger matrices than that just fine, but my renderer's performance drops off quickly due to the BSP calculations.

The renderer requires a matrix of real numbers on the stack (TYPE must report 3). Other types are not accepted; they only result in an Invalid Argument Type error. If you want to test it with RANM (which generates a symbolic matrix containing integers), use \->NUM to convert it. You might also want to scale it down yourself because unlike DRAW3DMATRIX my renderer does not take scaling parameters. Note: only scaling by a real number is not enough, because even though every number (except 0 apparently) will become a real one, the wrapping type will stay a symbolic matrix. The difference between a symbolic matrix and a numeric one is not visible directly, but TYPE reports 29 for the former and 3 for the latter.
When starting the renderer, you'll see a few letters followed by numbers at the bottom of the screen. They show how many polygons got past the backface culling step (i), how many were actually drawn (o), how many were added by cutting a polygon into two pieces (c) (cutting polygons is a part of how BSP works), and finally the time spent rendering the frame, in milliseconds (t). A 2x2 matrix is usually at 3 or 4 ms, a 4x4 one takes slightly less than 50 ms, and a 6x6 matrix takes between 300 and 400 ms, as I explained above.
As a demonstration of the renderer's capabilities, the surfaces are rendered with 75% alpha, that is, everything behind them is faintly shining through. The surfaces are dark or bright, depending on which side of them you see; the darker one is the underside. Removing this in favor of solid colors only has minimal impact on performance.
The keyboard controls are also different from DRAW3DMATRIX. Instead of rotating around the object's axes, the cursor keys rotate around the global X and Y axes. Rotation around the Z axis is done with leftshift and rightshift, the number keys 2, 4, 6 and 8 can be used for panning (which DRAW3DMATRIX cannot do at all). + and - move the object along the Z axis; this can be used as a substitute for zooming. 5 will reset the object to its original position and orientation, ON will get you out of the renderer.

Known glitches:
- Sometimes a few pixels of the black outlines are drawn below the surfaces instead of above them. I put in some hacks to keep them on top, but apparently they are not working quite right.
- The surfaces tend to flicker slightly, especially with larger matrices as the input. This shouldn't happen because I'm rendering to a hidden buffer which is then copied to the visible one with a single memcpy, but it's still there.
- When a surface covers large amounts of screen space, some slightly darker vertical lines appear with a horizontal distance of 4 pixels. I do not know what causes this.
- Rotating and moving the object can be slow or fast, depending on how fast the object is rendered. It's like that because the object is rotated/moved by a constant angle/distance every frame while the corresponding key is held down.
- On x49gp, only the leftshift, rightshift and ON controls are registered for some unknown reason. The remaining controls are apparently ignored, at least for me. The real calculator does not show this behavior.

A big THANK YOU to Claudio L. for HPGCC3 and some personal support when I had trouble. He showed me how to debug it with objdump, x49gp and gdb, and together we sorted out some issues which were mostly caused by me using a current version of arm-none-eabi-gcc instead of the one suggested on the HPGCC3 website (which is ridiculously hard to obtain, by the way; the current one was simply installed from my system's package manager). Only one issue was a real HPGCC3 bug, which I was able to work around (the romlib has some variables outside the .romglobals section, which makes them overlap with user variables; workaround: define an otherwise unused array covering the area these variables are put into).

I haven't decided on a license yet, so I'll hold on to the source for the moment. If I go for an open source one, it'll also need some cleanup and documentation.

As I mentioned, this program was designed as a test for the renderer code, so it should be considered a proof of concept. In that sense, my conclusion is that it works reasonably well, but it could use some performance improvement in the polygon sorting/cutting area. I do have some ideas, but they include major rewrites, so that will take a while.
Any questions, suggestions, bug reports?

Attached File(s)
.ex3  Graph3D.ex3 (Size: 15.3 KB / Downloads: 15)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
(50G) [HPGCC3] DRAW3DMATRIX replacement with grayscale surfaces, proof of concept - 3298 - 09-11-2015 11:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)