newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
11-19-2015, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2015 12:00 AM by Helix.)
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Nov-14-2015] Firmware for testing available for download
(11-19-2015 02:18 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  PS: I think the right arrow in the font should be shifted one pixel up. When used in an algebraic expression it looks too low. I tested with the new rules operator :→ and the arrow doesn't center between the dots very well. What do you think?

Yes, I agree with you. I've also noticed that some characters should be slightly modified too, for the same reason. I will fix that.

(11-19-2015 03:52 AM)Han Wrote:  Yet another idea

Here's yet another idea that popped into mind while I am typing. Create two menus: a main one and a secondary one. Use a single key (maybe HIST or TOOL or something) to toggle the menu focus. Make the main menu on top, and the secondary menu on bottom. All keys affecting any menus (whether loading a menu or pressing NXT) would affect the currently focused menu (which would appear with black background so that it is clear to the user which one is in focus). Or you could even make the VAR key so that it behaves like NXT if the secondary menu is visible and presumably dedicated to variables (as proposed in paragraph 3). Error messages stay at the bottom, drawn over the menus. Create a single-row status area up at the top that can be used for things like auto-complete, time of day, path, memory, user mode, etc. This leaves the same amount of display area for the stack, since the current setup uses three rows at the bottom for menus.

The secondary menu doesn't even have to be dedicated to the variables. In fact, I think it would be even more useful to have the secondary menu be exactly that: a second menu. So if you wanted to, you could simply keep the second menu solely on variables. But you could theoretically could have, say, your variables and custom menu be your two menus, or say one menu show the matrix commands while another shows vector commands (i.e. two different categories). Having typed this, I am starting to think that having a menu dedicated to variables seems a bit restrictive.

I have to read again the various ideas, but I think that this version of dual menu would be very convenient too.

Jean-Charles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Nov-14-2015] Firmware for testing available for download - Helix - 11-19-2015 11:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)