SSTV Pictures from the International Space Station
07-15-2015, 11:13 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2015 11:18 PM by Bill (Smithville NJ).)
SSTV Pictures from the International Space Station
This is mainly for the Ham Radio members, but can be done by anyone.

To celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo-Soyuz Space Mission, the International Space Station will be broadcasting SSTV (Slow Scan TV) pictures from July 18 through July 19. Following is link to the announcement:

ARISS

ARRL

You can use free software (MMSSTV is what I use) and a fairly simple FM radio that is capable of tuning to 145.8 MHz.

You will need to know when the pass occurs. You can get a printout of the passes for your area at:

NASA Spotting ISS

Unfortunately for me, I probably won't be able to capture the SSTV signal. I just checked my location and I am only seeing 2 to 4 minute passes.

Back in April, the ISS sent several SSTV photos to celebrate Yuri Gagarin. The ISS had several good passes over my location and, if I went into the street so that I was clear of trees, I could hear the signal real strong on a 2 meter HT using the rubber duck antenna. My radio that was hooked to my computer didn't do as well (bad antenna location), but I did copy the following:

Please let me know how you make out from your location.

Oh Yes, if you send them printout of what you copied, they will send a very nice QSL card to confirm your reception.

Bill
WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SSTV Pictures from the International Space Station - Bill (Smithville NJ) - 07-15-2015 11:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)