N.C.D. New Calculator Day - TI 89 Titaneum
04-14-2018, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2018 09:40 AM by Manolo Sobrino.)
RE: N.C.D. New Calculator Day - TI 89 Titaneum
(04-13-2018 09:20 PM)Ask Mait Wrote:  Hi,
My apologizes for pulling up this thread from the graveyard.
Wondering if somebody could compare the key-press feeling of TI-89 titanum compared to other TIs like 83+ and 84+
The reason is recently I tried my daughter's 83+ and find the keys and the large multi-line screen the best for my usage, so if the TI89 has the same key feeling, I would like to go in for that.
If it matters, let me tell that I've used Casio scientific for about 35 years (fx-82, fx-97, fx100, 991EX) and HP-35s for about 8 years.
Thanking you all in advance.

They have the same keys. Its screen is not exactly crisp and fonts are rather small. The Titanium screen is worse than that of the older TI-89s.

If you don't need the CAS, take a look at the TI-86. It has a nice screen (IMO better than the ones you've mentioned and any 89) and it's a great calculator that excels at number crunching (done right).

The keyboards in the TI graphing calculators are decent, no debouncing problems, rubber domes work forever -same technology of older Casios-, and they can be taken apart for cleaning easily (no rivets).

(04-14-2018 02:23 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  If we're talking strictly the feel and response of the keys, the 89 Titanium does not disappoint.

However, the 89 has an obnoxious key layout, and an OS that was designed around a device with a much bigger screen, and a full QWERTY keyboard. Combine that with the single-line entry with no Math Print, and you've got a machine that, while excellent for programming and CAS work, is a pretty lousy number-cruncher.

Dave, check out Equation Writer for the TI-89 at the TI site for an alternative entry mode.

Yes, it's a CAS calculator focused on the CAS part. I think they made the right choices for a 50-key version of the 92, it's just not obvious at first sight.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: N.C.D. New Calculator Day - TI 89 Titaneum - Manolo Sobrino - 04-14-2018 09:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)