Has the WP 34s Project or a variant been offered to HP?
05-28-2015, 09:33 PM
RE: Has the WP 34s Project or a variant been offered to HP?
Isn't the WP 34s software published under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL)? I Am Not A Lawyer, but my engineer's-level understanding of GPL is that it explicitly allows all end users -- individuals or corporations, academics or hobbyists or profit-seekers -- to use, modify, republish, or resell the same software or derived software for essentially any purpose at all. I think that the only substantial restriction is that any release or sale of the original work or derived works must itself be bound by the GPL. In other words, any sale or rerelease must leave the original software and any derived software exactly as open to an end user as it is now.

If I am not mistaken, this means that HP could in fact use and sell the WP 34s project -- even rebranded as HP without further modification -- without requesting permission, or without permission being explicitly offered to them. They would just have to sell any derived products under the GPL, which would then require them to offer the original or modified source code free to any end user. My guess is that if HP thought they could realize enough profit to make such an HP-34S release viable, they would already have done it.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Has the WP 34s Project or a variant been offered to HP? - John R - 05-28-2015 09:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)