HP 35s missing functions that could have been easily implemented
05-05-2015, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 06:27 AM by AnalogJoe.)
HP 35s missing functions that could have been easily implemented
I got a 35s the other day, I also have a 48GX, a 50G and a Prime, but I had to take an admission test and none of those were accepted during the exam, im so used to RPN that I decided to go out and buy the only RPN scientific calculator I could find, the 35s.

First impression this is a great calc, it has wonderfull keys, RPN, and great looks, however after further use, I found out that this calculator is what might be refered to as 'wasted potential', or in other words the limitations the calc has are due to a lack of functions that could have been easily programmed into the calc rather than hardware limitations of the calc itself.

First of all let me say that im completely aware that this calculator is a big upgrade compared to the original HP 35, but im just saying, if the calc is getting an upgrade why not go all the way and do it right.

I know its been a long time since 2007 when this calculator came out, but let me add a list of all the things I think are missing that should have been implemented, things which are defacto on all calculators in the same price range as the 35s:

- Dedicated polynomial root finder program: The solution finder on the 35s is great, but having to suggest values for a solution, and tinker around with different values to find something as simple as the roots to a cuadratic equation is not efficient. It needs a simple polynomial root finder program up to at least the 3rd degree like any other calculator in the same price range as the 35s. I had to program my own root finder, it involved 100 lines of code, it can only solve up to 2nd degree polynomials and it could be easily wiped out from the memory if I press the wrong keys.

- Polynomial complex root support: come on, my $10 Casio gives me the complex roots of a polynomial up to the 3rd degree. If theres a complex root, the 35s will not find any solution.

- Numerical differentiation: Im just saying, if the 35s can integrate, why not differentiate?

- 2X2 and 3X3 solvers with complex number support: Again, being limited to only real number 2X2 and 3X3 systems is very unappealing to an EE like me.

- Vector cross product: This very simple feature could have been very easily implemented. In fact, what I found shocking is that the hp manual has a vector cross product program used as an example, why did they left this to the user instead of having it pre-programmed beats me....

- Complex number fuctions: Things like conjugate, polar to rect, rect to polar are completely missing. I also would have liked real to complex and complex to real functions.

- 'a b/c' to 'b/c' and 'b/c' to 'a b/c' decimal conversion: Not being able to convert something like 1 3/4 to 7/4 and back is just annoying, again a $5 scientific will do that.

- Matrix support: if an old 15C has matrix support why not the new 35s?

I think everything boils down to: Complex number support, aside from the very basic arithmetic operations, this calculator does not support complex numbers, period.

When I look at this calc I see a very nice piece of hardware programmed by lazy programmers. All the necessary horsepower is there but the software is not. It shouldnt be left to the user to spend hours programming simple functions that could have been easily factory programmed, or if you are planning on having the user program their own functions at least add an extra $5 to the price tag and include a USB port, that way, people who dont want to program stuff like vector cross product can just download a program from the internet and upload it to the calc, not to mention that you could also backup your programs in case the calculator's memory is wiped off.

So how are you guys overcoming these step backs? I would like to hear some tips and tricks, and listen to what you guys have done to improve your calcs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP 35s missing functions that could have been easily implemented - AnalogJoe - 05-05-2015 03:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)