Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
03-25-2015, 03:41 AM
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
(03-25-2015 02:57 AM)BarryMead Wrote:  Mark: Matthias wasn't trying to discourage you from using the Intel Edison . . . I agree that having more power gives you greater capability to grow the feature set of the device, but with growth in features comes growth in software development and if the calculator were to do all of the things you described including interfacing with spreadsheets, printers, plotters, other collaborating scientists or students, etc, this would require a whole team of software developers and the budget of a large corporation to pull it off.

hi Barry, thanks for the feedback... I should mention I hate feature creep. To prevent it requires design goals that 'include' the dream-set. My last project at IBM automated call-flow through our support center... that is, my part was a beo-cluster that automated how disparate servers interacted in a synchronized and prioritized way, to get the person's 'next call' from the phone switch, against the call database, synchronized with my beo-cluster to their desktop PC, so that the phone would ring with their customer on one end, and the call record in front of them. I built the whole thing using gnu/linux and off-the-shelf parts (some from our recycle center) and I wrote all of the software myself... in three months. I needed six, but was told if I wanted the job (or a job) they needed it in three. Why am I telling you this? When I decide to build something it gets built. When I write code it runs. When I set my mind to something I don't need any corporate anything to make it happen... just determination, imagination, will power, creative energy, and time; and not much time, no brag, just fact.

If you read Matthias' posts they have a common theme... it won't or shouldn't work, don't bother. Go look for yourself. But on a positive side, sometimes that's just posturing and|or fear. Since no one is building the products we want, and they discontinue the products we have, its time to make them irrelevant and build the stuff we desire ourselves. Its the next wave, and we can all choose to ride it or not. I'm waxing the board, baby!

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal - MarkHaysHarris777 - 03-25-2015 03:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)