Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
03-21-2015, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2015 06:52 AM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
(03-20-2015 02:01 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Sorry, I didn't mean to take your dream of being the first to implement it on a calculator, just wanted to encourage you to follow up on your line of thought, and show you that you are not the only one going in that direction (so your ideas aren't that crazy, it's perfectly doable!).
Claudio, thank you, good to hear from you... well like I've said before on this site someplace, there are other people out there building, or trying to build, calculators; I'm not so much seeking 'first' as much as I honestly believe that this community deserves the chance for a lasting legacy and an opportunity to move forward (in a fun way) to take an active role in the development of their own platform/ there are enough DIY and other interested folks on this site to make the project fun and satisfying.
(03-20-2015 02:01 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Keep going, we want a finished open-hardware calculator based on Edison that we can all play with.
Yes; the more the merrier--seriously! Thanks for the encouragement. The more I am playing with this board the more convinced I become that the Intel Edison is the winner hands down in every category. I got some more time in on the board today, and I am very impressed with the ease of programming, the organization of the gnu/linux system that manages everything, and the overall flexibility of this platform from an engineering standpoint--EE and comp-sci.

I don't have the appropriate level shifters yet, for testing on my actual proto-board (that will happen next week) but I did write a couple of sketches, essentially blinker sketches without lights, and then tipped that puppy over and took some volt readings with the good 'ol analog VOM to watch the virtual 'lights' and to figure out how the breakouts work... very nice, I might add!

The C|C++ code is compiled and downloaded to a gnu/linux folder called /sketch.

The compiled file 'sketch.elf' is then executed as a root process along with everything else running on the system. In other words, the 'sketch' just becomes another system process managed by the linux kernel. How cool is that?

For those of you who do not quite get the implication of all of this... that means that 'many' sketches can be loaded into this controller at one time and run appropriately from a crontab (automated timed scheduler) and or based on interrupts or other factors. ... this means not only a super calculator, but also a super controller capable of commercial state-of-the-art systems automation and control; all in a teeny tiny chunk of pcb and foil the size of a book of matches!

The only down side to the board (and this is minor) this is a board for grown-ups; to use Walter's phrase, and that means engineers and serious electrical engineering hobbyists. The board uses 1.8v logic, will only stand 3 mA per pin, is NOT forgiving, and requires some thought and know-how. With the right design, correct level shifters, and a solid shield, it should prove to be a truly remarkable platform for hand-held calculation well into the future (and Intel is in the business of providing just such capability well into the future); so I am encouraged. This is going to be fun.

Pleasant evening to everyone... I'm totally pumped!

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal - MarkHaysHarris777 - 03-21-2015 06:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)