and now for something completely different...
03-18-2015, 09:39 PM
RE: and now for something completely different...
(03-18-2015 09:24 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  I propose that SOONER rather than LATER the WP-43S team put out PRICE QUOTES so that members of the community can BUY their own WP-43S development prototype to help pull the community into a more coherent direction going forward. If you could buy a WP-43S development prototype for $500.00 now would you still be experimenting with Arduino implementations that will never meet the power or packaging size requirements of a calculator?

Aah, Barry. You have hit the proverbial nail directly on its head; well done, and well said.

You have hit two points that I will address in the order you listed them: 1) power requirements, and 2) development prototype.

1) Power requirements. I recharge my Android phone (my personal mobile computer and hand-held mobile calculation platform) twice each day. I have a car charger, and I have a suit pocket add-on power supply. Coin cell operation of my cell phone is not an option; I don't care if my hand-held calc has coin cell power supply. If it has it, well, that's a plus, but not having it is NOT a show stopper for me. Just saying. Having said that, lithium ion power is the best all-around solution (for phones and calcs) and the Intel Edison with lithium ion power is the best solution, me thinks.

2) Development prototype. I mean this very respectfully--- the WP43s team is moving too slowly. I'm going to grow old and die before they get a development prototype into my hands. Hate to be blunt, but voila. I want that development prototype NOW, even if I have to build the dang thing myself. And here is the sticky wicket ... I can build it for a lot less than $500.00 ! ... and so can anyone else, once they have the design and know where to get the parts.

On the other hand, if the WP43s team opens up a little (speeds up a little more, and collaborates freely) and can afford-ably provide a development platform (did I mention reasonably priced) then yes, I agree it would be better for the community to pull together on one platform and get the hard work of coding done. But that's the other hand, and if wishes were ponies we'd all take a ride. Just saying.

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: and now for something completely different... - MarkHaysHarris777 - 03-18-2015 09:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)