[34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack
02-20-2015, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2015 04:17 PM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
RE: [34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack
(02-20-2015 06:03 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Stack lift really is a legacy of the 1970's. So is LastX.

The big question is, how could it be done better today?

- Pauli

hi Pauli, we are enjoying the fruits of your labor; especially me, you have no idea-- again VERY nice job! Now to your question.

The answer is 'implicit' vs 'explicit'. Well, voilà.

Explicit is always better than implicit... always. Please allow some pedantic explanation, I think it will illustrate the point, and actually be helpful. [ENTER] should 'enter' from an input buffer, or command line, into the X register by default (and that's all). If a value needs to be placed into the Y register, the operation should be explicit; there should be a [STACK↑] operation that explicitly 'lifts' the stack; if the user wants it! But, and here is the BIG but, stack 'lift' should never be implicit (within an operation). Automatic stack 'lift' is ~ok, but unnecessary as long as we're processing from an (input buffer) command line.

There should be three enter keys (gold key enter) for 'entry' into Y directly (no implicit lift). There should be a (blue key enter) for 'entry' into Z directly (no implicit lift). And of course [ENTER] should 'enter' into X directly with no implicit lift of the stack.

There should be a set of buttons [↑] [↓] [↔] [↕] that change the 'relative position' within the stack of a given selected (displayed) register in the stack (this should always be explicit, never implicit).

Well, again, Voilà!

PS I thought everyone might enjoy reading, The ZEN of Python, by Tim Peters:

The Zen of Python, by Tim Peters

Beautiful is better than ugly.
Explicit is better than implicit. <=========== (my point)
Simple is better than complex.
Complex is better than complicated.
Flat is better than nested.
Sparse is better than dense.
Readability counts.
Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
Although practicality beats purity.
Errors should never pass silently.
Unless explicitly silenced.
In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.
There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.
Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch.
Now is better than never.
Although never is often better than *right* now.
If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea.
If the implementation is easy to explain, it may be a good idea.
Namespaces are one honking great idea -- let's do more of those!

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack - MarkHaysHarris777 - 02-20-2015 04:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)