My HP 42S Find and Some Questions
02-03-2015, 07:41 PM
RE: My HP 42S Find and Some Questions
(02-03-2015 04:18 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Being a bit thrifty, I have been on the hunt for a good quality 42S, but not at an outrageous price.

Last week, I found what looked like a good condition 42S with an ASTECH Industries hard case at a very low "Buy it Now" price. The item was just listed a few minutes before.

Needless to say, this was my chance, so I immediately bought it without asking any questions.

Now having the calculator in my hand, I have some questions/observations. Hopefully someone may be to clarify:

1. The ASTECH case - how many rubber feet should it have? This unit has one strip near the bottom of the case when in the open position.

2. The faceplate of the 42S is almost flush to the plastic case on the left side of the LCD. There is no creasing of the faceplate. The faceplate does move to the expected position with very light force. Is that normal, or does it indicate some tinkering?

3. There is a sticker on the back: "International Calc/Comp", which looks like it has been on the unit for a long time. That company appears to be a reseller of HP products. Could this indicate anything unusual or special of the unit's history? The seller did not provide any ownership history.

4. What is the safest way to clean the faceplate?

Thank you.

Sanjeev - Suggest posting a photo or two, it will be much easier to reply accurately. Phrases like 'faceplate', 'almost' and 'creasing' are subjective and very hard to give good advice when we may be thinking of one part and you another.

I agree with most of John R's comments, but don't think it's fair to say that "most" 42s have had this failure - it totally depends on how they were treated in the agreeably long time since made. I have a 42S from the day they were available at EduCalc, in use since then (i.e. not stored), with none of these type issues.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My HP 42S Find and Some Questions - rprosperi - 02-03-2015 07:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)