Problem calculating an expression with roots
02-02-2015, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 11:52 AM by retoa.)
RE: Problem calculating an expression with roots
(02-01-2015 09:17 AM)parisse Wrote:  [quote='retoa' pid='26149' dateline='1422741551']

Quote:Does it mean that the Prime can not simplify any expressions with roots at the denominator or with negative fractional exponents? That would be really limiting for the use in a school...
It's exactly the reverse. The algorithm for simplifying fractional powers on the Prime can handle expressions with + (or -), it's therefore more powerful. Simplifying the example with this algorithm takes too much time on a calc, but it works on a desktop.

This remembers me the Pirelli Tyres slogan "Power is nothing without control". I don't find it very useful to have a powerful calculator that can not calculate easy things. It's like having a scientific calculator that only does roots and trigonometry, because you can do the additions and subtractions by yourself on a sheet of paper (actually it was so when we used slide rules).

"I did not make my CAS with the objective to solve american schoolbool exercices"
By the way I don't work in an american school, I live in Switzerland, but I think the problems with roots and fractional exponents are the same worldwide.

Thank you for the attention

reto
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Problem calculating an expression with roots - retoa - 02-02-2015 11:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)