WP34s Repurposing Journey PhotoJournal
02-27-2015, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 02:54 PM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
RE: WP34s Repurposing Journey PhotoJournal
Greetings,
Well, the first version of my WP34s Update Station (non automated cigar box prototype) is complete, functional, and fully instrumented including voltage latch (3.3v Vcc Fault), simulated current|voltage load test|latch, and mA meter. As you can see, the smaller white scale won out over the larger two-tone. I like this meter too, and I did not have to modify it! I am experimenting with an idea from Dave F. to see if I can get my photos formatted a little better; we'll see how it goes.

[Image: wps_final.jpg] [Image: final_guts.jpg]

The following two pics are from an actual 'update' of my experimental model 30b. I have one unit that has an exceedingly 'bad' keyboard... so I've relegated it to the experimental pile (where I shall play with it ad nausea or until I brick it, which-ever comes first)! Ok, pics first, comment second:

[Image: standby_current.jpg] [Image: update_current.jpg]

The first file photo is the unit in standby waiting for me to press MySamba's go button... I have followed the 'update' procedure ON-D for debug mode, ON-S followed by S confirm to prepare the boot loader bit; notice the current - it is high for this unit, but not the 20 mA I was expecting... in the entire process the current never went above 10 mA (I'm suspicious its running in 'SLOW' frequency, but don't know for sure). The second pic is the actual 'update' happening from MySamba via the flash-box - WP34s Update Station. Again notice the current -- throughout the entire update Icc hovered around 6 mA, the Tx light flickered rapidly and the voltage monitor|latch did not trip / whoohoo! I had already run the Vcc current|load test (at 20 mA dummy load latch engaged) and the voltage latch did not trip during that test. This means that the FTDI USB to Serial converter 3.3v regulator is quite robust and has absolutely no problem with the update flash. Y'all will be encouraged and relieved to learn that the little beasty woke up, restored my latest backup, and is still ticking.

I have decided to place the automated version in a plastic box... I think its the first time ever that I have actually mounted a project in a 'project box'. A Raspberry PI B+ is going to handle the automation, and an Arduino Uno is going to handle the instrumentation. I'll keep y'all posted on that progress. In the mean time, my 43s prototype is underway and progressing nicely.

PS I'll post schematics later today.

PPS Seems to me that I set that machine in 'SLOW' mode some time ago. I wonder, does the machine stay at 'SLOW' mode if set explicitly (even for the update process?).

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP34s Repurposing Journey PhotoJournal - MarkHaysHarris777 - 02-27-2015 12:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)