WP-34S N-Queens Benchmark Based on Patrice Torchet's BITMAP Solution
10-21-2014, 09:49 PM
RE: WP-34S N-Queens Benchmark Based on Patrice Torchet's BITMAP Solution
(10-18-2014 01:36 AM)xerxes Wrote:  Accurate benchmarking seems to be a very hard task.
Indeed Smile , That's why I didn't try to do a benchmark by myself.

(10-18-2014 01:36 AM)xerxes Wrote:  I like the BITMAP solution a lot, but how can I use it in the benchmark list without putting many other calculators at
a disadvantage? Please take into consideration that the BITMAP version would be also much faster on some other non HP
calculators and the comparability of the results will suffer, due to the use of different algorithms.
It's like doing a benchmark/contest with vehicles from point A to point B, most of the cars will take the road.
And when you test a 4WD, why take the bumpy track shortcut should not be allowed?
And finally when you put you hands on an ugly amphibious vehicle, why shouldn't it just cross the river ?
It is slow and ugly but it can do things that a Ferrari can't.

(10-18-2014 01:36 AM)xerxes Wrote:  The BITMAP solution has earned an own article.
Is it on line already ? URL ?

I propose a set of rules where I take into account that calculators can be poor in resources.

- make a program that build a solution from the rules. You are free to choose any algorithm as long as it solve the problem.
- the result is the solution found as a number of 8 figures. it is valid as long as it is a solution.
- Ideally, after displaying a solution, a simple branch in the program will lead to a second solution
- do not count the number of steps
- the goal is to be as fast as possible.

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
IMPROVED 30% over previous post - iceman - 10-15-2014, 06:39 PM
RE: WP-34S N-Queens Benchmark Based on Patrice Torchet's BITMAP Solution - patrice - 10-21-2014 09:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)