what happens when a test company gets it wrong
10-13-2014, 04:50 PM
RE: what happens when a test company gets it wrong
(10-12-2014 08:40 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  but there are at least 3 ways to do it that I am aware of. All of them are mathematically and statistically valid.

Tim, two points.

First, I accept that the change to the CAS calculation of median in the Prime will also be effective in the Home mode, when the next update is released. The larger problem is students who have already purchased a Prime calculator and do not upgrade. If they use their Prime to calculate median they will get the wrong answer ("wrong" as defined by their teacher, undoubtedly).

Second, you cannot say that all 3 methods of calculating median are mathematically and statistically valid: they return 3 different answers for the same data set (I am assuming that the 3 methods you refer to are the "correct" one [mean of the two middle values], the one that returns the smaller of the two middle values, and the one that returns the larger of the two middle values). There cannot be 3 valid values for median of the same data set, that is just basic to any discussion of median.

I have to believe that if Messrs. Hewlett and Packard were around today, they would insist that this be treated like the original bug in the HP-35: fix it and give everyone a new fixed calculator.

Yes, I know that 2014 is not 1972, but a truly responsible company would take the hit and fix this for everyone.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: what happens when a test company gets it wrong - Don Shepherd - 10-13-2014 04:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)