what happens when a test company gets it wrong
10-12-2014, 08:40 PM
RE: what happens when a test company gets it wrong
(10-12-2014 12:18 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Regrettably (if I am to believe this thread), the Prime calculator would say the median of that data set is 10, not 11. Every middle school math teacher in the United States would tell you that is wrong. Please tell me this will be fixed.

The statistics applications and everything students will use calculate exactly that way.

The discussion in that thread revolved around the hidden CAS command 'median' which used a different but still perfectly valid mathematical definition. Median is "generally" defined as the way described in the document, but there are at least 3 ways to do it that I am aware of. All of them are mathematically and statistically valid.

Bernard chooses to use that other definition in his CAS, and since HP licenses the CAS and did not develop it internally... sometimes there have been things that go through of which we are unaware and might disagree with or wish would be changed. In that thread though, he indicates that it will be easy for him to resolve that to use a different behavior and so that will be changing to bring that CAS command into agreement with the rest of the system should there be another update put out.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: what happens when a test company gets it wrong - Tim Wessman - 10-12-2014 08:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)