HP35s simple query about stacks
10-08-2014, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 12:20 PM by Kyburo.)
HP35s simple query about stacks
Hi!

I've been using my HP35s for a little bit now and slowly starting to prefer RPN for everything (basically in uni math classes panic-reaching for my casio less and less and trusting my, what feels to be more blind, RPN entry more and more) but I've found a few oddities that I haven't been able to figure out and I'm hoping someone can help me understand?

So my question is around the stack on the HP35s.

I recently found a tip on this forum about the fact that entering any menu/mode/setting window and pressing the "R(down)" key will show you the 4 stack variables currently held which is nice.

But in doing so, I've noticed more and more that I'll have a strange situation where my stacks never empties..?

To explain a little better, an example:

- Clear entire stack, all 4 showing as 0.
- 3, enter, 2, divide
- 3, enter, 2, divide
- 3, enter, 2, divide
- 3, enter, 2, divide
(Now all 4 are filled)
- multiply, multiply, multiply, multiply, multiply, multiply

Basically I expected each value to be used and so shift down the stack, but it seems that I've just got an infinite stack of 1.5 and can multiply forever which I wasn't expecting. I'm assuming I'm missing some logic here?!

I've also experienced this with some complex equations. The minute I go beyond using just X and Y, suddenly the rest of my stack fills with values and they stay there indefinitely.

Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP35s simple query about stacks - Kyburo - 10-08-2014 12:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)