Brand new to RPN, few questions on bits!
09-06-2014, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 07:56 PM by Kyburo.)
Brand new to RPN, few questions on bits!
Hi,

I'm brand new to this forum and RPN in general.

I'm just about to start (in the next few weeks) studying Mechanical engineering at uni and just stumbled across RPN last week.

Long story short is I've the casio 2013 fx991es+ but always thought it seemed fairly unsturdy and never liked it all that much.

In my searching I've found (a) that there are a ton of features for this casio I wasn't told about by previous teachers, most likely to stop me using it when learning new maths and (b) There is a different type of calculator out there which seemed kind of cool, the RPN calc.

Since then I've realised my mac osx calculator has a built in RPN mode, found some free HP48 apps on my android device tablet and also then happily discovered this forum and the WP34S software that I'm using to test out my RPN understanding on.

Well, that was much more long than short. Apologies! On to my few questions.

-------------

First question: A cool new feature I found on my casio is that I can enter in an equation including variables like x, and then at the end give the x value and let it perform the calculation.

eg) x^2 + 6x + 9
then after entering the above I can use "calc" to specify that x = 2 say, and it'll spit out the answer to the above equation.

I've been trying to find a simple explanation to do this on a RPN calc, but not found anything so far, and the manuals for both the HP35s and WP34s are a bit of info overload right now.

*Solved*
Second question: Same setup as above, but instead using
x^2 + 6x + 9 = 0
And looking for a calculator to "solve" this for me, giving the x value (of x=-3)

Third question: An introduction on how to perform definite integration/differentiation, which again is something I've always done by hand, but have recently started testing my casio to see just how much stuff it can do for speed.

-------------

So let me apologise again, it's a bit cheeky of me to just turn up and drop a load of questions on this forum.. But I'm pretty keen to learn RPN as best I can before starting uni in a little over 2 weeks time, and I've a HP35s coming in the post on Monday so until then I'm mashing away at the WP34s with examples and bits Smile

Basically looking for an alternative to the casio, even if I end up using both in tandem, I'm pretty convinced that getting my head fully around RPN is going to help my maths rather than hinder.

Also, hello!

Edit: I did find this link (http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/download...ration.pdf) but have yet to get my hands on the HP35s, but with slightly different keys to the WP34s I wasn't sure where to start with this.

Edit2: Basically this style , but I'm not sure how you'd do the same on the WP34s (http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hp....199480143) - Back to the WP34 manual
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Brand new to RPN, few questions on bits! - Kyburo - 09-06-2014 06:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)