What are good PRNG for calculators?
11-14-2014, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 01:41 PM by Namir.)
RE: What are good PRNG for calculators?
(11-13-2014 10:52 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 05:55 PM)John R. Graham Wrote:  When do you think it's inappropriate to use a really good PRNG? The only contraindication I can think of that is potentially valid is if the resource requirements and/or execution time is onerous on the platform.

- John

Should you wish to eg find the area under a curve you would also want to avoid clumping, which clumping is a characteristic of a good PRNG. For such applications a Quasi Monte Carlo sequence of D-dimensional Halton sequence vectors is preferable, providing good spread within the set lower & upper limits & avoiding clumping.

For eg crypto purposes, QMCS is not so good.

In short, there are some uses where real randomness approxination is not the chief criterion of efficacy.

Gerald,

You are the first person who discusses the negative aspects of very good PRNGs! It is very easy to have poor PRNGs and hard to develop good ones.

BTW .. I love your city and plan to visit my beloved Vienna in the fall of 2015. My wife and I usually stay at the Astoria hotel near the Opera house.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are good PRNG for calculators? - Namir - 11-14-2014 01:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)