The Rapid Collapse of the Swedish Mechanical Calculator Industry
10-04-2022, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2022 03:04 PM by johanw.)
RE: The Rapid Collapse of the Swedish Mechanical Calculator Industry
(10-03-2022 10:42 PM)johnb Wrote:  Among watch collectors, a well-made "automatic" (that is, a mechanical self-winder) is a thing of joy and beauty. So, while my $50 Casio quartz-electronic has more functions and keeps better time, I get more enjoyment out of my automatics.

I understand. I usually wear a $50 quartz, but I've now bought a $150 Seiko automatic just to look at the mechanism (it has a glass bottom). Unfortunately this one doesn't stop the second hand when you set the time and can't be wind manually, but apart from that it is a pleasure to look at the mechanism.

Quote:Which makes me realize how fortunate we are as HP collector/users, compared to some other collectors! A vintage HP calculator is not only much nicer to use that anything built since (SwissMicros excluded), but we also have the advantage that they are generally better tools than the newer stuff.

And don't forget much cheaper... A rare HP in pristine condition can be expensive but nowhere near the price of a vintage or new Rolex, IWC or Breitling.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Rapid Collapse of the Swedish Mechanical Calculator Industry - johanw - 10-04-2022 02:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)