Need help setting up go41cx emulator
07-21-2022, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2022 05:00 AM by Ángel Martin.)
RE: Need help setting up go41cx emulator
OK, after a few attempts (with device restarting required) I finally got it to recognize the changes.

Here are a few initial impressions after a couple of hours playing with the emulator.

I'm not very impressed with the way MOD files are managed by this emulator; the ports are only capable to handle one MOD file even if it is a 4k-Module, thus wasting away the other half. This is a serous deficiency that I hope Oliver addresses soon...

The U/I also took me a while to grasp. Apart from the choice of colors (make it very difficult to see for folks with visual impairments like myself), the support of the Library#4 is very peculiar. It seems to be the trigger that determines which type of OS/X and HEPAX modules are chosen:

1, If Library#4 is selected then AMC_OSX and HEPAX_4H
2. If Library#4 is not selected then CCD_OSX and HEPAX_1D

This may work for some but is very limiting and restricts the user to use the "canned" versions of those modules. For starters, how to change the Library#4 version?? And how to plug it in a different page/port? That also is missing.

And the HEPAX support is also somewhat funky, at times the emulator wouldn't turn on after the changes and I believe the wrong version of the HEPAX_4H is being employed, because is it a clear instance of the FileSys initialization failure. (I prepared two versions of the HEPAX_4H, one for the CL without the initialization polling point and another for the DM-41X with it - the emulator should have used the latter...)

Here too a way to choose which MOD file to use for HEPAX is not provided - of it it is I haven't found it.

I haven't tried the printer support, but it is bothersome that even if the printer is not selected page #6 cannot be used for other modules (such as AMX_OSX, etc.). For that matter, pages #6 and #7 cannot be used at all in the U/I.

I also tried the "tablet" version but after a little testing asked for a refund: the graphics did not fit within the screen dimensions (a Galaxy Tab A8), so the bottom row of the keyboard was partially missing (off screen). I found that very annoying, so I uninstalled it and requested a refund.

So in summary, the emulator is a good first step (it's a tall order after all) and would be a great shareware software, but for a paying product it was quite disappointing - perhaps I had too high expectations but it's got too many glitches. It's not in the same league as Antonio Lagana's i41CX emulator for the iPhone, sorry to say.

Hopefully these deficiencies can be addressed to make it more capable, it's close to being a great product with just a little more investment effort I believe.

"To live or die by your own sword one must first learn to wield it aptly."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need help setting up go41cx emulator - Ángel Martin - 07-21-2022 04:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)