Yet another HP simulator (using C + X11)
12-01-2021, 09:48 PM
RE: Yet another HP simulator (using C + X11)
(11-29-2021 09:33 AM)Mike T. Wrote:  
(11-28-2021 09:33 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I must admit, I'm a little curious about the choice of X11 when everyone has been trying to get rid of it for the last decade!

One of my goals was to produce an application that was as portable as possible, and even if Wayland had existed when I started I would not have chosen it is as it isn't supported on legacy (non PC) architectures.

Yes, that's a perfectly reasonable reason. I hadn't considered that fans of HP calculators would want to emulate their delights on legacy systems. Smile

Quote:X11 applications are not going away and backward compatibility is provided by XWayland so I have no plans to upgrade at the moment!!

I'm not sure what the best modern cross-platform windowing/widget toolkit is to use. GTK's C interface seems to be trying too hard to be OO, and Qt does not support C. I haven't used any of them in anger though.

Quote:That said I did almost give up on trying to get my code to compile using VAXC more then once! However, using a C compiler that old did actually teach me a lot (and not just not to avoid old compilers!) .

It works the other way too when newer versions of GCC complain about things that seem perfectly reasonable!

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Yet another HP simulator (using C + X11) - ijabbott - 12-01-2021 09:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)