FORTH for the SHARP PC-E500 (S)
11-06-2021, 10:40 AM
RE: FORTH for the SHARP PC-E500 (S)
Yes, it is much easier to try out source code from other Forth implementations because the error message shows the unknown word that needs replacing. So I stumbled upon rdrop and 0<= , which are probably in Gforth. I can deal with that now, thank you very much.

If you are looking for a solution for all PC-E500 serial transmission, then Helix has found it with its BASIC program. I don't know of any other way to write the Forth500.bin, which is around 20k bytes in size, to the upper RAM without going through the RAM disk.

I have just tried HTerm and SAVE also worked, but LOAD together with "Send file" always leads to an I/O error. That may be due to my interface: It is an old RS232 interface "IF-133" that is plugged into a COM1 socket of a PC. It was specially developed for Sharp computers at the time and has these signal lines on the 25-pin DSUB connector:
2 yellow RX input
3 white TX output
4 green RTS output
7 brown GND ground
20 blue DTR output
The specialty is that it has no line for the CTS signal. With the MBSharpNotepad I select XON/XOFF handshaking and RTS Enable (see photo) and it works.

Since there are different serial interfaces, your installation description should simply assume that the reader already knows what to enter on the PC in order to start the serial transmission. Then you should put Helix 5-line program in two variants for expanded and unexpanded and also the two BIN files converted into a series of numbers with Helix BINTOASC.EXE.

Do you want to describe the use of UUDECODE and LOADM as a second way for PC-E500 with 64K or more? You could/should extend the expanded version of the Forth500.bin by 16 bytes with BINTOPCE.EXE and convert it into a UUE file with UUENCODE.EXE, which you can enclose.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
FORTH for the SHARP PC-E500 (S) - Helix - 09-06-2021, 11:41 PM
RE: FORTH for the SHARP PC-E500 (S) - dmh - 10-02-2022, 02:29 PM
RE: FORTH for the SHARP PC-E500 (S) - dmh - 10-04-2022, 12:46 PM
RE: FORTH for the SHARP PC-E500 (S) - dmh - 10-04-2022, 10:55 PM
RE: FORTH for the SHARP PC-E500 (S) - Klaus Overhage - 11-06-2021 10:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)