Accessing data in linked array on HP-50g
06-26-2021, 02:45 PM
RE: Accessing data in linked array on HP-50g
(06-25-2021 05:03 PM)cahlucas Wrote:  Hi all,
What is the best way to access data in a linked array on the HP-50g? According to the description I have, a linked array consists of pointers pointing to the actual objects in RAM (or ROM). What matters here is the object being referenced, not the pointer itself. The object only needs to be read, not evaluated. How can I best do this? Solutions preferably in sys RPL. Sincerely, Karel.

There's very little in the way of documentation for RPL linked arrays. This thread may have some information of interest to you.

As stated by Cyrille in that thread, linked arrays are primarily useful for building large lists of strings. This can come up if you need a library of strings that goes beyond the limits of message tables.

I would add that a large list of constants with high numbers of duplicates can also benefit from the use of linked arrrays, and there's an example given in that thread of how to build one (though that example could be improved by using MASD syntax instead).

Just curious -- what is your goal for using a linked array here? It may be that a standard array works just as well, and may even be smaller.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Accessing data in linked array on HP-50g - DavidM - 06-26-2021 02:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)