Which BASIC pocket computers make the best calculators?
04-04-2021, 02:10 AM
RE: Which BASIC pocket computers make the best calculators?
(04-03-2021 09:44 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I feel that the Sharp computers suffer a bit on the computer side of things when compared to Casio, as they only provide a single program space (the MERGE command can load multiple programs from cassette, but you can only view/edit the last one loaded, and all the hidden programs have to be called by label). Also, on the models I've used, the PRINT command doesn't let you end the argument list with a semicolon, and INPUT will only accept a single string literal as a prompt, preventing you from including values of variables in your prompts. The Wizard is a bit more flexible here.

The very early SHARP models have some limitations like you point out, due to limited ROM space and LCD screens (the 16 char LCD machines are even more limited, the 16 char LCD being the main reason even in later models). The later model's BASIC is much better, with the SHARP PC-1475 probably as one of the best BASIC + CALC pocket computers, followed by later models such as the E500(S). Both have a file system to store multiple programs and offer double precision 20 digit calculations. The Wizard BASIC IC is based on the SHARP E500 I believe.

Some SHARP models focus more on "programming" and less on "calc stuff" such as the PC-1350/1360 that have no keys you would typically find on a calculator.

I don't know for sure, but CASIO may have followed SHARP's models and added some improvements they say, though the PB-700 was earlier with the 4 line LCD, shortly followed in a couple of months by SHARP PC-1350 with 4 line LCD. So that is a CASIO win, but one that I know of. SHARP offered so many models (I mean, look at this list!), so it is not always easy to compare. I agree that CASIO's program space P0-P9 is nice. A file system is better, since you can store data too. The DEF-key method is really handy, and TRS-80 books with applications for TRS-80 machines (the SHARP rebranded ones) heavily rely on this feature.

- Rob

"I count on old friends" -- HP 71B,Prime|Ti VOY200,Nspire CXII CAS|Casio fx-CG50...|Sharp PC-G850,E500,2500,1500,14xx,13xx,12xx...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which BASIC pocket computers make the best calculators? - robve - 04-04-2021 02:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)