Best method of cleaning thin layer of degraded plastic?
03-11-2021, 07:52 PM
RE: Best method of cleaning thin layer of degraded plastic?
(03-10-2021 10:34 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  I have a number of old electronic devices whose enclosures are made of plastic and said plastic has degraded over time leaving a discolored sticky residue in the upper < 1mm of the plastic. I've used "CRC Electrical Grade 2-26 Plastic Safe Cleaner / Lubricant" ( see here ). I've also used "Goop" multipurpose cleaner, but I don't really like it as it has lanolin in it ( ie. sheep sebum :| -- disgusting :| ) which tends to leave a residue on the plastic. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better method of cleaning off the top layer of degraded plastic on an enclosure for an electronic device ( especially old vintage and calculator devices )?

I've had a number of devices (usually remotes, mini keyboards, mice, etc.) with plastic enclosures with a rubberized coating that has degraded, if that's the same thing. I usually manage to get most of it off with some combination of IPA, WD-40, scotch-brite type scouring pads, and elbow grease, but it doesn't leave them in the best cosmetic condition afterwards!

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best method of cleaning thin layer of degraded plastic? - ijabbott - 03-11-2021 07:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)