The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond
04-12-2021, 08:13 PM
RE: The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond
(04-12-2021 05:33 PM)robve Wrote:  Yep. Surely Python and C require a full keyboard to get anything done. CASIO's "BASIC" does not require a full keyboard to enter programs quickly, but their BASIC dialect(s) are not standard so there is a learning curve. Python and C have non-trivial learning curves.

Just my 2c:

The loss of BASIC as a simple and easily accessible programming language is regrettable. Calculus textbooks used to have BASIC programs, so learning BASIC was "automatic" with the math stuff. And it was fun too, because the graphics and sound commands are all built-in. No stupid libraries to figure out and install on every damn machine.

With that in mind, Python is great, but NOT a replacement of what BASIC was able to do to encourage programming as a way to solve problems.

Opinions may vary but I don't find Python more difficult than BASIC. If there is anything that may make BASIC easier to learn is its oversimplification and relative lack of expressive power. It does take time and effort to become proficient in any programming language, and Python is a language that one can grow into.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up programming in BASIC on PC's and the HP-71 but I have no nostalgia for BASIC. Once I started using FORTH on the 71, and then got an HP-28S, I never looked back.

The idea that "every kid should learn to code" is just plain silly. Programming requires a certain mind set, and interest, that not everyone has. Every child should be exposed to programming but there is no point in forcing programming upon those with no interest or abilities in it.

I would bet that most users of the 50g and Prime never program them at all and just use their built-in features.

I do agree that any language used in a calculator must have graphics, plotting etc. but those are not inherent features of any particular language.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond - John Keith - 04-12-2021 08:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)