Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions
01-25-2021, 10:32 AM
RE: Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions
(01-25-2021 03:24 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  I do wonder if Free42 is becoming more RPL like over time. When thinking about extending the WP 34S, I started to understand the decisions behind the 28 series. The more I dug into it, the more RPL looked like the most natural successor to RPN.

I agree about RPL being the natural successor to RPN. Thinking about Free42 internals has made me come to understand and appreciate the logic behind the RPL design a lot more.

However, I don't want to create an RPL clone. I do still find keystroke programming easier, probably because it's just a better fit for the limitations of a small screen and keyboard. When editing RPL, the calculator always feels cramped and I find myself wishing for a QWERTY keyboard and a screen that can display way more text. And the absence of goto, break, and continue is annoying.

So I'm coming at is from the opposite direction: what can I add to Free42 to make it more capable, while maintaining the HP-42S look and feel? The big RTN stack and local variables address the inability to write recursive functions or create complex programs without littering the catalogs with variables, and SST→ and SST↑ were necessary because debugging long programs was just too painful without them. And FUNC helps create easily reusable functions.

With the things I'm working on now, my motivation is a bit different, since those are mostly features that I have often been asked to implement, not features that I myself have a need for... but once I started thinking about how to implement them, once again I found myself thinking of RPL, because lists suddenly appear to be very useful. I'm also reminded of the HP-42S design, in that some RPL features can be useful for implementing things behind the scenes, without necessarily making them available in user code.

Before I go crazy adding new functions, I am going to have to think about how to extend the raw file format, because the gaps left in the HP-42S opcode space are starting to fill up. Plenty of XROMs, of course, but functions with parameters are trickier...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions - Thomas Okken - 01-25-2021 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)