Term for feature that abstracts RPN program location?
05-12-2020, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2020 08:42 PM by Orome.)
Term for feature that abstracts RPN program location?
What is the technical term that describes a programming language that abstracts (or at least largely abstracts) the machine location of programs?

I’m thinking here specifically of the evolution of HP keystroke languages, from early (and some late) models where each instruction exists in a single linear space (e.g., before the 41 series), to (some) later models such as the 41 series and the 42S, where each program exists in its own space.

Is there a formal term for this difference?

(Note that I’m thinking here exclusively of cases like the examples given, where the languages used are otherwise the same, and not of more comprehensive changes in system architecture, for which this change comes as part of the package — e.g., RPL.)

Bonus question: What other (non-RPL) models have this feature, aside from the 41 family and the 42S?

EDIT1: The original question above got some way off base examples, so maybe this helps: I'm talking specifically about the difference between, for example how a new program is "started" in the 34C vs. the 42S. The key difference is that while in both, steps can either be appended to or inserted among existing ones, in the former a new "program" is just started by inserting or appending a new global label step, while in the latter new programs can be started without any relationship to any existing steps , e.g., with [GTO] .. (not strictly true as you discover if you delete the `END`, but true in practice).

EDIT2: See (hopefully) less confusing reframing below.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Term for feature that abstracts RPN program location? - Orome - 05-12-2020 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)