What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
05-04-2021, 09:27 AM
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
I can only speak for education here in the UK, although anecdotally I understand things to be much the same in most European countries. The true value of Python on calculators is taken holistically across STEM knowledge domains (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). It's the reason that I've been posting about the BBC micro:bit and its possibilities in tandem with the HP Prime.

For those of a mathematical persuasion, Python's value on a calculator (talking about typical student age groups here) is that students can extend the functionality of their calculator using a programming language that's already being taught in the rest of their curriculum. The barrier of having to learn a new scripting/programming language is removed.

Much as I tend to use XCAS's native scripting when exploring KhiCAS on the Nspire, I can see myself using Python on the Prime. It's also great that Bernard has provided many of the familiar functions from Numpy and SciPy on the Prime as this will make it easier to adapt desktop scripts. Those functions often duplicate existing XCAS functions, and under the hood, they will probably be aliases to those existing XCAS functions; but yet again, the real benefit is the removal of barriers for those looking to create bespoke solutions on their calculator.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X) - jonmoore - 05-04-2021 09:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)