eigenvects function returning wrong answers for complex eigenvectors
01-01-2020, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2020 06:14 PM by medwatt.)
eigenvects function returning wrong answers for complex eigenvectors
I was working on a problem and was getting funny results. I thought there was an issue with my matrices because I didn't expect the calculator to be giving wrong results.

Before, I present the issue, I want to point out that the function works fine for matrices with real eigenvalues/eigenvectors. In the last step, I'm using the matrix diagonalization formula.

[Image: real.png]

This is the matrix I'm working on. It has two complex conjugate eigenvalues (and therefore eigenvectors). Because the eigenvector matrix returned is wrong, I wasn't able to get the original matrix using the matrix diagonalization formula, as was the case in the previous example.

[Image: complex.png]

If I manually enter the correct eigenvectors, I get the original matrix. This proves that the eigenvects function is returning wrong results when the eigenvectors are complex. The correct eigenvectors are shown in the "m" matrix.

[Image: complex2.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
eigenvects function returning wrong answers for complex eigenvectors - medwatt - 01-01-2020 05:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)