Can you calculate Pi using a Solver (on the prime)?
12-18-2019, 05:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2019 06:10 AM by Stevetuc.)
RE: Can you calculate Pi using a Solver (on the prime)?
(12-18-2019 03:02 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  
(12-17-2019 04:16 PM)Stevetuc Wrote:  Thanks for the interesting clarification

You're welcome.

Getting a Solver to be nestable isn't easy, that's why many aren't. If you're interested to know how the HP-71B's FNROOT does it, have a look at this enlightening explanation in the HP Journal July 1984 issue, beginning at page 30 (nesting is explained at page 32; up to 4 additional levels of nesting are possible, for a total of 5 levels, which allows for solving systems of up to 5 non-linear equations.)

Regards.
V.

Very informative article, thanks.
I'm wondering if some of this functionality might be achieved on the prime by sending the arguments unevaluated using Quote()- would this allow nesting? (I tried..unsuccessfully). I'm sure there are many subtleties! The issue on the HP71B was that stack passing could not be used so the arguments needed to be passed unevaluated to the function. Also passing and keeping track of FVAR. Much of this is native to the prime.
Maybe Cyrille or Tim could answer - was nesting FNROOT a design consideration on the prime ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can you calculate Pi using a Solver (on the prime)? - Stevetuc - 12-18-2019 05:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)